Wednesday, July 4, 2007

I believe, I believe!!

So a few of you may remember a couple of entries back when I may have questioned the existence and strength of the monsoons…well, maybe I take that back. If the monsoon gods are reading this, let it be known that I was wrong, I believe the monsoons exist and I realize they are a bid deal. So you can stop trying to prove it to me. Even though the past two days have been mild, with just a sprinkle here and there with really strong winds, the weekend was a different story. It didn’t stop raining for at least 48 hours and on Sunday (my only precious day off) it poured buckets all day. My roommates and I still trudged into Pune on the train as we always do, only to walk around soaking wet all morning and afternoon. After a certain point you can’t care anymore and you give up trying to be dry, but it was pretty uncomfortable up until that point.
It rained so much and so hard that even my supposed ‘waterproof’ bag malfunctioned and my cell phone was put out of commission for 2 days until it dried out. In Pune we ate lunch at a coffee house/bakery with covered and enclosed seating, but my roommate still had to sit under her umbrella b/c rain was coming in the gap between the wall and the roof. No wonder everyone keeps all their possessions covered in plastic (furniture, cell phones, computers..). The first few weeks I was here everything was covered in dust, now it’s hard to keep anything dry.

Happy 4th of July to everyone! While you are all watching fireworks and eating hot dogs, I will be showing my patriotic colors by eating rice with curried vegetable, and watching the neighborhood cats eat out of the trash pit in front of my house. Maybe if Im inspired I will perform a musical montage of patriotic songs for my French roommates. Not that Im particularly patriotic, but it is the only way I can think to repay them for making me listen to their French show tunes all the time.

I will probably keep my opinion of their music to myself since I will be spending a lot of time with them over the next week and a half. I have finished my interviews, so I will be spending a lot of time in the office at my computer. Since I share an office with them, live with them, and eat with them, I suppose I can grin a bare the show tunes for another 10 days to keep the peace. Otherwise they may not offer their canned pate and processed cheese cubes to me. That would be a shame.

5 comments:

Keith's Dad said...

I'm glad you're soaking up some local color (pun intended). And could you see if the French girls can make a copy of those French show tunes, I'ld like to add it to my collection.

jiggy said...

So what tunes did you choose? In case you need some help, I am including the full lyrics to Lee Greenwoods "God Bless the U.S.A.". They might come in helpful.

*******************************
If tomorrow all the things were gone I’d worked for all my life,
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife.
I’d thank my lucky stars to be living here today,
‘Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

From the lakes of Minnesota, to the hills of Tennessee,
across the plains of Texas, from sea to shining sea,

From Detroit down to Houston and New York to LA,
Well, there’s pride in every American heart,
and it’s time to stand and say:

I’m proud to be an American where at least I know I’m free.
And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
And I’d gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today.
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land God bless the U.S.A.

SUSANM said...

HI LISA, I AM ENJOYING READING YOUR POSTINGS..WHAT AN ADVENTURE
STAY SAFE AND KEEP WRITING
SUE MASCIELLO

Sizzle D said...

Amy, i really appreciate the patriotic assistance. I DO luv that song. it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it...i will give it a try tonight and see what they think.

Unknown said...

right now on "on-point" tom ashbrook is talking to an expert on indian food. you're way ahead of the game.