Friday, July 27, 2007

Ta Ta!

This may be my last post for some time. It is my last day or work (yippee) and I am leaving tomorrow morning for my two week, world wind tour of northern India and Nepal. My two friends Y & S arrived Wednesday and have been hanging around the happening town while I finish up at work. It has been interesting to watch them see things for the first time that I have gotten used to…like the bullock carts pulling loads of hay, the wild pigs, and the little children using the side of the road as their bathroom. I arranged for them to stay in really the only ‘hotel’ option in town, an ashram. I have called it basically fat camp for grown ups. It is a place people come to ‘cleanse’ ie eat bland boiled food, do yoga, see doctors, and walk around the 2 acre campus. They have been good sports about the strange accommodation, which have included quiet hours, optional 5am yoga sessions, an hour long meeting with the doctor, and of course being offered various health and body ‘treatments’. Im surprised they are continuing to let me make the hotel reservations.

Im a little sad to have my time here end, but mostly Im excited to be moving on. Im not ready to leave India, but I am ready to leave this campus and the small town. I’ve finished my report and am ready to leave the bureaucratic part of my internship behind. It’s been a frustrating last week as far as organization politics go, so Im not sad to see that part of my adventure end. Hopefully I will be able to post a few times in the next few weeks…since I have to lug around my computer I might was well make use of it if possible. For those of you interested, here is a brief run down of my next two weeks:

Tomorrow we fly from Mumbai to Udaipur in Rajasthan, India. After two days we travel to Jodhpur, then Jaipur (also in Rajasthan). Next Friday we will travel to Jaipur to Agra to see the Taj Mahal, then onto Varanasi (a city on the Ganges river) for two days. Next Monday we fly to Nepal where we will be staying with a friend of ours in Katmandu for one week. From Katmandu we are planning on taking day trips and maybe a short 1-2 day trek in the mountains…who knows. We haven’t finished all of the planning, so we are planning on winging a lot of it. I’ll let you know how that works out!

Hopefully all of my dedicated readers (i.e. my 3 family members) will be able to find another hobby to fill their hours of free time while Im traveling and can't post.

5 comments:

Keith's Dad said...

No Blogs???? Is this how you treat your loyal following? I think I'll boycott the last two weeks.... Who am I kidding, you know I'll be checking anyway. I may even revisit some of my favorite past episodes. How sad is that. I've always wanted to see the Taj Mahal, so don't be stingy with the pictures.

Shaw said...

Any other non-relations offended by this? Come on, Liz - Shaw is here for you. As revenge I will make up a rumor about you which, when I tell my mom, will become a fact, firmly cemented in the Marbletown consciousness.

Unknown said...

Dude, I'll tell you about offense. It's not even being told about this blog and finding out about it from Shaw after Lisa's already leaving India...

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Unknown said...

Hi,
I read this blog and believe me it is very interesting to read.
Well myself represent from bpo company india and can any one refer me any comfortable accomodation in Jodhpur to spend my vacations there.

Please, I will be very much thankful to receive the response.


Thanking You,
Manisha Mane